The world's largest professional association for the advancement of technology
IEEE is the world's largest professional association dedicated to advancing technological innovation and excellence for the benefit of humanity. IEEE and its members inspire a global community through IEEE's highly cited publications, conferences, technology standards, and professional and educational activities.
IEEE's core purpose is to foster technological innovation and excellence for the benefit of humanity.
Core values are the essential and enduring principles that guide IEEE.
- Service to humanity: leveraging technology and engineering to benefit human welfare; promoting public awareness and understanding of the engineering profession.
- Trusted source: being a source of trusted and unbiased information to enhance the quality of life for all people through methods like peer review.
- Global focus: supporting and embracing the global nature of and need for technical work and engineering solutions.
- Intellectual activity: forward-thinking; nurturing of new and existing science and technology.
- Growth and nurturing of its members and the profession: encouraging education as a fundamental activity of engineers, scientists and technologists at all levels and at all times; ensuring a pipeline of students to preserve the profession.
- Collaboration and community building: cultivating active, vibrant, and honest, exchange among cross-disciplinary and interdisciplinary global communities of technical professionals.
- Professionalism: creating a world in which engineers and scientists are respected for their exemplary ethical behavior and volunteerism.
- Trust and respect: promoting a culture where contributions at all levels are valued; encouraging member driven, volunteer-led, knowledge-based projects; building effective volunteer/staff partnerships.
- Individual contribution: being a membership organization with individuals who contribute to the core purpose of IEEE.
IEEE will be essential to the global technical community and to technical professionals everywhere, and be universally recognized for the contributions of technology and of technical professionals in improving global conditions.
The IEEE is engaged in an enterprise-wide strategic planning process. A summary of the long-range strategic plan, termed the IEEE Envisioned Future, details the main elements of the plan.
IEEE applies strategic thinking, explores new ideas about strategic governance, and uses new methodologies for strategic dialogue. IEEE's strategic and long-range plan is grounded in core values, describes a desired vision, and what will be essential to achieving this vision. IEEE's commitments are articulated in goals that declare the outcomes the organization intends to achieve. Underlying this plan is the adoption of an ongoing process of planning and thinking strategically, designed to ensure relevance of direction and action over time.
- The IEEE community and its technologies will positively impact global prosperity and quality of life.
- Governments will increasingly seek IEEE's input as an unbiased source of technical information.
- Industry will recognize and value IEEE thereby strongly supporting professionals' participation in IEEE.
- Communities around the world will universally recognize and appreciate the profession and IEEE's role.
- Technological literacy will prevail among all educated citizens.
- IEEE members will have productive, distinguished, and rewarding careers. Increasing numbers of students will choose careers in IEEE fields of interest.
- IEEE will be recognized as a global force in shaping education and curricula in IEEE fields of interest.
- IEEE will be a center of excellence in technology information and a global force in intellectual property rights management.
- IEEE members will universally find value in active engagement and involvement in the organization.
See Also :